Teaching English is an exciting way to see the world and get paid for it. The hours are generally low and most English Teachers are content and live comfortable lifestyles.
You could be on a plane within 6 weeks of reading this, with an overseas job guarantee.
If you are a native English speaker, and willing to undertake a certificate in Teaching English you will be able to find work teaching English.
Why Teach English?
- Learn another Language. You can spend a full year (or more) immersed in the language of your choice. You could live in a South American country and improve your Spanish.
- pay off your debts. You can save a mint teaching in places like Korea, Japan and the Middle East. In Vietnam I earn (on an hourly rate) up to twice as much as I do back home, and my living expenses are almost halved. In some countries, however, teaching English will only pay your basic expenses (like Thailand for example) However, it is usually a matter of taking a few extra private classes to bump up your salary.
- Live Overseas My main reasons for moving to Vietnam, was to Teach English and to live overseas. The cultural experiences and adventures you have by leaving your home country are an amazing bonus and incredible life stories to tell
- Fund your travels You can spend 3months to 3 years in any one location teaching English in various locations. There are opportunities at public and private schools as well as private (one on one) lessons
- You want to fall in love, stay in love or follow your friends overseas. You’re significant other is offered a 2 year contract with an international firm in Shanghai, but you’re not offered a position? You could make a living in China (or just about any other country) teaching English.
- Retirement Teaching English is not a domain of the young. In fact, most teachers are of the mature variety. There are no age limits so if you are willing and able you could be overseas in 6 weeks, teaching English in the country of your dreams.
- Gap Year You’ve just finished High School and you’re about to go to College or University but you want to take a year off to travel. By teaching English you will be able to have assimilate with the locals in your new home and live the lifestyle that most travellers will never see.
- No Idea Still haven’t chosen your career? Teaching English can be a 1 year break or your profession for life. There is no age limit, and you can learn on the job or take professional development. There are career progression opportunities and you could eventually find yourself running your own school.
What its like
I work for a language “chain” school, on a part time basis, in Vietnam. Usually I can have as many hours as I want, and the pay is higher than my wage back home on a per hourly basis. When I first arrived I thought I would teach English primarily to adults, but, it was not to be! I now find myself teaching Young Learners, from kindy through to High School and I love it! Children are a mixed bag (if you pardon the expression) but if you can learn the herding techniques, it becomes fun! I am now teaching private classes for groups of 6-9 year olds and having a blast.
Conditions & Benefits Here in Vietnam, a full time teaching is usually offered a full time teaching week of 20 contact hours. They recieve paid leave, 2 days off per week, end of contract bonuses ,reimbursment of part of their training costs, and flights allowances.
In some countries no qualification is needed. However, it is always better to have a teaching certificate. The most common and most respected is the Cambridge CELTA. This course runs for one month and can be taken in most countries. It is a super intensive course so brush up on your grammar and study skills before you go!
While a degree is requested at many schools it is not always a prerequisite. If you havent finished your degree, apply for the jobs anyway. Some schools will accept you without it, but there are occasional visa hassles (Japan is one country that requires a Bachelors degree for a working visa).
How to get started
Check out i-to-i Travel for an online TEFL course! For best results do a 120 hour teaching course such as the Cambridge CELTA or Trinity TESOL.